Call for Round 12 Rotating Module Design Teams
Multi-national teams of researchers with an interest in comparative social science are invited to submit applications for modules of questions to be fielded in each round of the European Social Survey (ESS). Round 12 of the ESS will be fielded across Europein 2025. The deadline for Stage 1 applications was 6 May 2022.
The ESS questionnaire consists of two elements: a core module of substantive and socio-demographic items which remains identical across rounds; and two rotating modules, of up to 30 items each, which vary from round to round. Each rotating module covers a single academic and/or policy concern within Europe and is drafted by a competitively selected team. The chosen Question Module Design Teams (QDTs) work closely with the Core Scientific Team (CST) of the ESS to develop their rotating modules.
Successful applications for previous rotating modules are available to view:
The Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) to the ESS ERIC will decide which Stage 1 proposals meet the criteria to be shortlisted. Their decision is final. Shortlisted teams will then be invited to submit a full proposal at Stage 2. The SAB will select two rotating modules from the proposals submitted at Stage 2.
- Deadline for Stage 1 applications | 6 May 2022
- Applicants informed of Stage 1 outcome | Late June 2022
- Deadline for Stage 2 applications | 14 October 2022
- Successful module teams notified | End November 2022
- QDTs work with ESS CST to develop modules | January 2023 - September 2024
- QDTs assist with translation queries | October 2024 - July 2025
- Round 12 Fieldwork | From February 2025
- First release of ESS Round 12 data | 2026 (dates to be confirmed)