The 5th International European Social Survey (ESS) Conference will be held at ICS - University of Lisbon and ISCTE - University Institute of Lisbon, Portugal, from Monday 8 until Wednesday 10 July 2024.
Call for nominations: Jowell-Kaase Early Career Researcher Prize 2024
The European Social Survey (ESS) Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) is looking for nominations for the Jowell-Kaase Early Career Researcher Prize 2024.
The prize is intended to recognise excellence in the field of comparative social research by a promising new researcher from any social research discipline. The prize - named after Professor Sir Roger Jowell and Professor Max Kaase, the founders of the ESS - was established in 2016.
The Jowell-Kaase Prize 2024 will be presented during the 5th International ESS Conference in Lisbon, Portugal, on 8-10 July 2024. The winner will be announced prior to the conference and will be invited to give a keynote-type talk at the conference. The winner of the prize will receive €1,000 and travel and accommodation costs for the conference, funded by the ESS ERIC.
Criteria for the Prize
The Jowell-Kaase Prize is given to an early career researcher from any field of social science whose extraordinary early achievements have already made a significant impact on the field.
Their research must have addressed one of the substantive topics covered by the ESS from a comparative perspective, either cross-nationally and/or across different ESS rounds.
The nominees must have made use of the ESS data in their research and published their research in international peer-reviewed journals or in books published by reputable academic publishers.
It is expected that their research has contributed to our understanding of European societies and provided a clear presentation of interesting and timely research questions informed by relevant and high-quality empirical analysis.
The competition is open to researchers that have completed their PhD not earlier than 1 July 2018 and to PhD students registered at a university. Nominations can be made by individuals or institutions, and candidates may nominate themselves. Nominations for the prize should include:
- Curriculum vitae of the nominee (no more than 5 pages)
- A supporting statement (no more than 1000 words) setting out the nominee’s achievements which are considered to merit the prize
- In case of self-nomination, an additional letter of support must be obtained from someone who is familiar with the nominee's contribution
A Prize Committee consisting of members of the SAB and 5th International ESS Conference organising committee will review all nominations. The Prize Committee will be chaired by SAB chair, Caroline Rapp.
Deadline for Nominations
The deadline for nominations is Sunday 31 March 2024. Nominations should be sent to ESSfirstname.lastname@example.org.
A number of sponsorship opportunities are available, either individually or part of a wider package. Bespoke options are also available. Please contact the conference committee to discuss further.
- 23 August 2023: Call for sessions opens
- 2 October 2023: Call for sessions closes
- Late October 2023: Sessions selected and convenors notified
- 12 December 2023: Call for papers opens
- 31 January 2024: Call for papers closes
- March 2024: Papers selected and notified | Draft programme released
- April 2024: Registration opens (early bird rate)
- May 2024: Early bird registration closes
- June 2024: Registration closes
- 8-10 July 2024: Conference